Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To inform Cabinet on how the Council is
performing against its revenue and capital budgets.
Report No. 79/2019 was received from the Strategic Director for Resources.
Mr Gordon Brown, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Planning, Environment, Property and Finance introduced the report, the purpose of which was to inform Cabinet of the provisional outturn figures (subject to audit) for the financial year 2018/19. In reporting the outturn, Cabinet was being asked to carry forward some unspent budgets to 2019/20 and put aside some additional funding in earmarked reserves.
During discussion the following points were noted:
· The report had been to the Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Committee meeting for their consideration. The main points that had been highlighted in the discussion were the underspend of the revenue budget by £74k, a position which was subject to external audit by Grant Thornton LLP, and the funds which were to be carried over to earmarked reserves.
· The Government was unlikely to make any funding announcements soon so the most likely scenario was that the Government would roll over the settlement from the current year into next year. Savings were being made to counteract this uncertainty.
· Reserves at year end were very much where it was hoped that they would be. £109k had been contributed to the new repairs and maintenance reserve and the welfare reserve ceiling had been increased.
1. NOTED the provisional outturn on the revenue budget and updated capital programme
2. APPROVED the transfer to earmarked reserves from 18/19 underspends of £2.355m including £509k for ring fenced budgets.
3. APPROVED the use of £70k from winter pressures grant and £49k from the social care reserve to fund the overspend on DFGs of £119k (in line with reported outturn at Q3)
4. NOTED that the MTFP in Appendix F reflects the outturn position.
5. RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL the setting up of 2 new reserves and amending the ceiling of 2 reserves as detailed in section 2.4.
Reasons for the decision:
As the Council is required to make savings over the medium term, the outturn position is positive compared to Quarter 3. The approval of budget carry forwards will allow the 2019/20 budget to be updated to reflect spending plans.
Report author: Mr Saverio Della Rocca
Publication date: 20/06/2019
Date of decision: 18/06/2019
Decided at meeting: 18/06/2019 - Cabinet