Decision Maker: Strategic Director for Places
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To improve the actual and perceived safety of
this stretch of highway, which is heavily used by residents and
Residents and tourists have raised concerns regarding the safety of this section of carriageway specifically during the summer months when there is an increased number of cyclists using this section of highway to join onto the cycle path and an increased number of vehicles accessing different areas of Rutland Water.
It is intended to construct under The Highways
Act 1980 a creation of cycleway – requiring the following
• Removal of the hedge within the adopted highway alongside the carriageway
• Installation of a new cycle way (to include edgings and culverting the existing ditch)
• Installation of cycle lane defenders • Removal of white lines on existing carriageway
• New signage and road marking to alert drivers to the new carriageway layout
• Do nothing – this option would
not improve actual or perceived safety.
• Purchase land off adjacent landowner – option more costly and would take considerably longer to deliver.
Publication date: 11/01/2021
Date of decision: 06/01/2021