Agenda and draft minutes

Rutland SACRE (Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education)
Tuesday, 15th January, 2019 4.30 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Catmose, Oakham

Contact: Kit Silcock  01572 720976

Items
No. Item

503.

RECORD OF MEETING

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Rutland SACRE held on 30 October 2018 (previously circulated).

Minutes:

The record of the meeting of the Rutland Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE) held on 30 October 2018 was confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

504.

ACTIONS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

(5 MINS)

 

ACTION

Person Responsible

Mrs Fitton and Ms Walker to invite Harington School to the network meeting in December to discuss making a video to accompany the Annual Report.

AF/KW

Mrs Fitton to send amendments to the agreed syllabus through to Mr Silcock to publish on the website.

AF

Mrs Fitton would reach out to a shop in Whissendine that was run by a Hindu family to see if they knew of anyone that would be interested in joining SACRE.

AF

Mr Silcock would in future circulate the NASACRE bulletin to all SACRE members.

KS

Mrs Curtis would complete the NASACRE funding questionnaire on behalf of Rutland SACRE.

GC

Mrs Fitton would as for recommendations for speakers at the next network meeting and would slowly build up a database of effective speakers and the schools that they had visited/

AF

A review of collective worship would be included on next year’s development plan.

KS

Miss Waller and Mrs Fitton would create an audit template for withdrawals from RE lessons and collective worship. This would be shared and discussed with Ms

Walker and Mrs Davis.

GW/AF

Mr Silcock to table withdrawals as an agenda item for the next SACRE meeting.

KS

Miss Waller would write a letter to the Secretary of State for Education on behalf of the SACRE board.

GW

Mrs Fitton would send a save the date to schools and promote the event at the network meeting.

AF

Mr Silcock would contact John Morley, Head of Adult Services and Principal Social

Worker, to arrange a PREVENT presentation for SACRE.

KS

 

Minutes:

·         Mrs Fitton was still looking to get Harington School to attend a Network Meeting to discuss making a video to accompany the Rutland SACRE Annual Report.

·         Mrs Fitton was still awaiting amendments to the agreed syllabus. Once received, she would pass on to Mr Silcock to publish on the RCC website.

·         Mrs Fitton had now got a contact for a Mosque and would enquire if they were interested in joining Rutland SACRE.

·         Mr Silcock notified the group that John Morley, Deputy Director for Adult Social Care at Rutland Council was not available to provide a presentation to the group until after May.

·         All other actions were completed.

505.

DEVELOPMENT PLAN pdf icon PDF 55 KB

(20 Mins)

 

All to discuss the latest version of the Development Plan.

Minutes:

During discussion the following points were noted:

 

      i.        Mrs Stephenson mentioned prior to the meeting that Miss Gale Waller asked if the group could start to think about what content should be included in the Rutland SACRE Development Plan 2019/20.

    ii.        It was suggested that the Chair invites Rob Gooding to a future SACRE meeting to help suggest ways that SACRE could get more schools to access the Network Meetings and share good practice across Rutland.

   iii.        Ms Walker suggested mental health and wellbeing could be included within the 2019/20 development plan.

 

506.

WITHDRAWALS FROM RELIGIOUS EDUCATION LESSONS

(20 Mins)

 

All to discuss the number of withdrawals from both RE lessons and collective worship

Minutes:

During discussion the following points were noted:

 

      i.        Mrs Stephenson noted a comment had been supplied by Miss Waller prior to the meeting stating that if parents were removing students from Religious Education due to Islam, it was a concern as education should be there for that area. Data was needed from all schools regarding reasoning for withdrawing students from Religious Education.

    ii.        Mrs Fitton, Ms Curtis, Ms Walker, and Mrs Davis had started work on a survey to send to schools regarding withdrawals from Religious Education in schools, however the survey needed to be timed correctly with other surveys that were being sent out to schools.

   iii.        Once the data had been received, the topic could be revisited at a future SACRE meeting.

507.

OFSTED INSPECTION REPORTS pdf icon PDF 171 KB

(20 Mins)

 

All to discuss the following Ofsted inspection reports:

 

1.    Cottesmore Academy – Full Inspection – September 2018

2.    Brooke Hill Academy – Short Inspection – November 2018

Additional documents:

Minutes:

During discussion the following points were noted:

 

      i.        Ms Curtis noted that regarding Cottesmore Academy, the Rutland Learning Trust has only sponsored the school since April, very little influence would have been possible in the short amount of time.

    ii.        Mrs Davis noted that Ofsted were about to launch a consultation on proposals for changes to the education inspection framework which would take effect from September 2019. Ms Curtis stated that the consultation would begin on 16 January 2019.

 

A link to the Ofsted consultation page can be found using the following link:

 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/education-inspection-framework-2019-inspecting-the-substance-of-education

 

508.

UPDATES pdf icon PDF 435 KB

(20 Mins)

 

·         Agreed Syllabus                                                                  AF

·         NASACRE                                                                            AF

·         Religious Education Conference                                     AF

·         RE Network                                                                           AF

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Agreed Syllabus

 

·         Mrs Fitton notified the group that the Agreed Syllabus and assessments would be the focus of discussion at the Network Meeting in April and would ask for data from all Rutland Primary Schools in June.

 

NASACRE

 

·         The next annual NASACRE meeting would take place in Manchester on 22 May 2019. Mrs Fitton would attend to represent the group. Ms Evans showed an interest in also attending the event and would discuss further with Mrs Fitton.

·         Ms Evans noted that Cambridgeshire were applying for funding from the NASACRE and other areas could be included in the funding application if help was received. Ms Evans would provide feedback at the first SACRE meeting after May.

 

Religious Education Conference

 

·         The conference would take place at Greetham Valley Golf Club on 1st May 2019 and 50 places would be available to schools to attend.

·         Further information about the event would be appended to the minutes.

 

Religious Education Network

 

·         5 schools attended the RE Network meeting on 14 January 2019.

·         The RE Network meeting would now alternate between Monday and Thursday which would hopefully gain more attendees.

·         The next meeting would take place on Thursday 4 April, with Langham CofE Primary School to confirm if they were still able to host.

·         Flyers for the Network meeting would soon be distributed to schools.

·         Amanda would send through a SACRE update to Ms Curtis for the education bulletin on Monday.

·         The Rutland SACRE newsletter had been completed and was being checked over. This would then be distributed to schools.

·         It was suggested that it could be worth trialling the Network meetings after 3pm to see if other schools turned up to the meeting. Mrs Fitton would look into this during the summer.

509.

ANY URGENT BUSINESS

Minutes:

There was no other urgent business.

510.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 19 March 2019 at 4.30pm

Minutes:

Tuesday 19 March 2019 at 4.30pm in the Council Chamber, RCC