Agenda and minutes

Schools' Forum - Thursday, 21st September, 2017 4.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP. View directions

Contact: Corporate Support  01572 720903

No. Item


Minutes and Actions from the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 159 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on 29 June 2017.


The minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on 29 June 2017, copies of which had been previously circulated, were confirmed as a true and accurate record of the meeting.



Declarations of Interest

In accordance with the Regulations, Members are invited to declare any personal or prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests in respect of items on this Agenda and/or indicate if Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.



No declarations of interest were made.


Petitions, Deputations and Questions

To receive any petitions, deputations and questions received from Members of the Public in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 217.


The total time allowed for this item shall be 30 minutes.  Petitions, declarations and questions shall be dealt with in the order in which they are received.  Questions may also be submitted at short notice by giving a written copy to the Committee Administrator 15 minutes before the start of the meeting.


The total time allowed for questions at short notice is 15 minutes out of the total time of 30 minutes.  Any petitions, deputations and questions that have been submitted with prior formal notice will take precedence over questions submitted at short notice.  Any questions that are not considered within the time limit shall receive a written response after the meeting and be the subject of a report to the next meeting.

(5 MINUTES for items 1, 2, 3)




No petitions, deputations or questions were received from members of the public.



Mrs M Darlington joined the meeting at 4.05pm

Dr T O’Neill joined the meeting at 4.08pm







4.1      Ms Curtis circulated a paper summarising responses received from members of the Schools’ Forum who had completed the Schools forum self-assessment toolkit.  Six responses had been received and Ms Curtis highlighted a selection of the points made. Following discussion it was AGREED to start to incorporate the following into the working practices of the Forum:



·         To hold an annual business set up meeting to plan and inform the operation of the Schools’ Forum over the course of the year.  The Chair, Head of Service Learning & Skills and the Finance Manager to attend this meeting. Head of Learning and Skills to arrange First meeting to be set up in the near future.

·         The Head of Service Learning & Skills, to compile an Induction Pack for new members of the Forum.  This will form part of an induction process where new members will be offered the opportunity to have an introductory briefing about the working of the Forum by an existing member of the Forum, and officers of the Council. Members are requested to send to the Head of Service ( any suggestions or comments they may have on what could be included in the induction pack. 

·         The Head of Service Learning & Skills to draw up an executive report summary template to be used as the title page for any papers presented to the Forum. This will specify if the paper is requiring a Decision to be made (in which case voting eligibility will be specified), for Consideration, for Discussion, for Noting, for Information. Items on the Agenda will in future also be marked up in this way.

·         Following discussion about the sectors members are representing, some amendment to the name plates is required and also to include additional information identifying members, non-voting members, observers.

·         The Head of Service Learning & Skills to clarify from the good practice guide, the procedure to be followed where there is a tie in voting and to report back to the next meeting.

·          Where possible to avoid the over- use of acronyms within documents, but if used to provide a definition.

·         The minutes to include a link to the Schools’ Forum pages on the Council website.


4.2      It was confirmed that members’ current terms of office had been taken as starting from when the Constitution was last reviewed in the autumn 2015.


4.3      During discussion about the current vacancy on the Forum the following was noted:


·         It was stressed that members must be mindful they are representing their sector and not their own institutions.

·         The current ratio between the number of primary school pupils and secondary school pupils is near to 50:50.

·         The Forum must ensure it has a balanced representation covering all primary, secondary, post 16 and early year’s provision.

·         It was commented that A-level providers are not represented on the Forum.

·         Following a vote – 3 in favour, 1 abstention – it was AGREED to approach the post 16 sector for nominations to fill this vacancy. The Chair of Schools Forum  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.



·         Schools Budget 2018/19 and Contingency Fund



5.1      Mr Della Rocca introduced the Schools Budget 2018/19 and Contingency Fund paper, the contents of which were NOTED by Schools’ Forum.


5.2      The local authority must engage in consultation with all maintained schools and academies in the area, and the Schools’ Forum, about any proposed changes to the local funding formula including the method, principles and rules adopted. The local authority is responsible for making the final decisions on the formula. To meet the deadline dates adopted by the Department of Education whereby local authorities must submit data by mid-January 2018, it was AGREED that a sub-group of Schools’ Forum would meet with local authority officers as part of the consultation on the changes to the funding formula. Mr Smith, Mrs Milner, Mr Williams and Mr Cox volunteered to form part of the sub group. ACTION The Head of Service Learning & Skills to set up this meeting late autumn term to review outcomes of consultation. The Sub-Group will report back to Schools’ Forum at the next meeting.


5.3      The local authority has requested that Schools’ Forum consider the introduction of a contingency fund. It was RESOLVED that the introduction of a contingency fund will require further consideration, and it will be incorporated into the consultation with schools. Schools’ Forum asked local authority officers to ACTION the drawing up of illustrative models showing the impact on schools funding if a contingency fund was introduced. It was also suggested that the local authority try to obtain further examples (like the Worcestershire example) of how other authorities are managing contingency funds and their criteria for release of funds.  ACTION Schools’ Forum members to consult with the sector they represent and feedback at next Schools’ Forum meeting




To receive the following reports:

·         Schools Budget 2017/18 Latest Forecast

·         Appendix 1 – 2017/18 DSG Forecast


Additional documents:


Schools’ Forum NOTED the contents of the Schools Budget 2017/18 Latest Forecast paper.




Verbal Update: NOTING ONLY



Ms Curtis informed the Forum that two contracts have been recently set up and the local authority will be working with schools to identify participants.

’Inclusion Begins in the Classroom’ is a commissioned programme to support mainstream classroom practitioners to more effectively meet the needs of children with needs that differ from, or are in addition to, those of their peers; this includes higher attaining pupils.  This is targeted support aimed at schools that are identified through analysis of data and contextual information.  This programme is due to begin later in autumn term 2017.

The second programme is available to all schools and academies and will promote sector led school improvement though development of cluster approach to peer review and challenge. This programme is due to start in spring term 2018  



Verbal Update: NOTING ONLY



Ms Curtis informed the Forum that the first meeting of the EYFS Working Party, would be taking place on 29 September 2017.


Any Urgent Business




9.1      Mr Cox queried the current status of the School Improvement Budget which was established approximately 2 years ago, with equal funding coming from schools and the local authority, to be overseen by a sub group of Schools’ Forum. It was AGREED that local authority officers would take ACTION to report back to the next meeting of Schools’ Forum on the operation and activity of this budget.


9.2      Dr T O’Neill took the opportunity to thank members of Schools’ Forum and staff at their respective schools for the support given during the recent Ofsted inspection of SEND provision.


Date of Next Meeting

Suggested dates for future meetings – to be AGREED:


Thursday, 18 January 2018

Thursday, 15 March 2018

Thursday, 28 June 2018

Thursday, 20 September 2018

All at 4.00pm – 5.00pm, in the Council Chamber, Catmose


Proposed Agenda Items:




The next meeting will be held on Thursday 18 January 2018, at 4.00 pm at RCC, in the Council Chamber.


The following meeting dates were also AGREED:


Thursday, 15 March 2018

Thursday, 28 June 2018

Thursday, 20 September 2018

All at 4.00pm – 5.00pm, in the Council Chamber, RCC, Catmose.


Proposed agenda items:


  • School Funding Formula consultation
  • LA Contingency Fund
  • School Improvement Budget update


RCC/Schools’ Forum website