Agenda and draft minutes

Schools' Forum - Thursday, 13th February, 2020 4.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP. View directions

Contact: Jane Narey  01572 758311

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes and Actions from the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 175 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on 10th October 2019

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on the 10th October 2019 were confirmed as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

Action 1

Andrew confirmed that the figures were based on December school pupil numbers and he would distribute the details to schools.  He also agreed to send each school details regarding the impact on their individual funding for moving 0.5% from schools block to the High Needs Block in 2020/21 and to show what the effects would be if the percentage increased to 1%.

Andrew confirmed that the action was ongoing as he wanted to send the schools current data using this year’s figures.

ACTION: Andrew Merry

Action 2

Jane to contact Steve Cox for a nomination for a Special Schools Deputy and Sharon to raise at the Early Years Meeting for a nomination for a PVI Deputy

Action completed

2.

Declarations of Interest

In accordance with the Regulations, Members are invited to declare any personal or prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests in respect of items on this Agenda and/or indicate if Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.

 

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made. 

3.

Petitions, Deputations and Questions

To receive any petitions, deputations and questions received from Members of the Public in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 217.

 

The total time allowed for this item shall be 30 minutes.  Petitions, declarations and questions shall be dealt with in the order in which they are received.  Questions may also be submitted at short notice by giving a written copy to the Committee Administrator 15 minutes before the start of the meeting.

 

The total time allowed for questions at short notice is 15 minutes out of the total time of 30 minutes.  Any petitions, deputations and questions that have been submitted with prior formal notice will take precedence over questions submitted at short notice.  Any questions that are not considered within the time limit shall receive a written response after the meeting and be the subject of a report to the next meeting.

(5 MINUTES for items 1, 2, 3)

 

 

Minutes:

None received

4.

Funding Update pdf icon PDF 228 KB

To receive a report from Andrew Merry

(ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(15 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Andrew Merry. During the discussion the following points were noted:

 

i.      The High Needs budget is showing a potential over spend of £549k. This was a £711k decrease in overspend.

ii.    The decrease is due to a series of unconnected items mainly:

 

a.    Adjustment to allocation £42k

b.    Cases transferred out of county - £80k

c.    Reduction in spending on recovery plan measures of £80k.

iii.   Andrew confirmed that every LA in the East Midlands would be producing a recovery plan.  It was agreed that Andrew would contact each LA for a breakdown regarding their spending of the High Needs Budget.

ACTION: Andrew Merry

iv.   It was agreed that Andrew would check to see what census figures the 2020/21 budgets were based on.

ACTION: Andrew Merry

v.    The significant change in the mobility criteria was queried.  Andrew confirmed that the National Funding Formula was used to calculate the value but he would check to confirm.

ACTION: Andrew Merry

 

AGREED: 

a.    The Schools Forum noted the forecast position for 2019/20 Dedicated Schools Grant and the update on additional grant funding.

5.

DSG Recovery Plan pdf icon PDF 260 KB

To receive a report from Andrew Merry and Kevin Quinn

(ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(10 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Kevin Quinn.  During the discussion the following points were noted:

 

i.      The formal submission of a recovery plan to the DfE was no longer required, however the DfE expect local authorities to report on their plans to manage the deficit as and when required to do so. Demand for services in Rutland continues to increase and therefore it is intended we continue with our recovery plan in order to help manage the deficit.

ii.    Nurture Outreach Pilot – due to be launched in March 2020, the project will focus on providing specialist advice and support around nurture based support out to schools.

iii.   Specialist Teacher Support – undertaken several school visits and a number of children are currently being supported and the service has been very well received. Currently looking at options to increase capacity.

iv.   Education Inclusion Partnership – primary partnership to be launched in February with the first panel meeting scheduled for March 2020.

v.    Therapeutic Support – Theraplay trial to start soon and working with providers to develop a range of interventions and services to support children and schools

vi.   Gill reported that there was now an agreement between Local Authorities and the Ministry of Defence regarding the transferring of EHC plans in order to ensure continuity in assessments between MOD sites and LA’s.

 

AGREED:

a)    The Schools’ Forum noted the project progress to date.

6.

Finance - 20/21 Funding Update pdf icon PDF 233 KB

To receive an update from Andrew Merry, Finance Manager

(ITEM FOR DECISION)

(15 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Andrew Merry. During the discussion the following points were noted:

 

i.      Every year the LA retains 5% of the allocation in order for the LA to undertake its statutory duties.  5% of the funding for 2020-21 will equate to ££93k.

ii.    Early Years rates have stayed the same as last year.

iii.   Every school has been notified of its funding allocation.

 

AGREED:

a)    The Schools’ Forum noted the DSG allocations and proposed rates for Early

Providers

b)    The Schools’ Forum formally approved the 5% centrally retained funding in relation to early years.

7.

EYFS Working Party pdf icon PDF 311 KB

To receive an update from Sharon Milner, Chair of the Working Party

(ITEM FOR DISCUSSION)

(5 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Sharon Milner.  During the discussion the following points were noted:

 

i.      Quality staff recruitment continues to be an issue.

ii.    Funding needs to be increased in order to recruit and retain good quality and suitably qualified staff.

iii.   The Schools’ Forum expressed concern regarding Early Years funding and especially for those children from disadvantaged families.   It is felt that government funding is restrictive and the Forum would welcome proposals or solutions to alleviate the problem.

8.

School Capacity (SCAP) and Pupil Place Planning

To receive a verbal update on pupil place planning from Gill Curtis, Head of Lifelong Learning.  (ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(5 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A verbal update was given by Dawn Godfrey and Gill Curtis.  During the discussion the following points were noted:

 

i.      A Pupil Place Planning Board has been re-established.  It is a Rutland County Council cross-service group which takes statutory responsibility for the strategic planning of school places and for promoting choice and diversity as stated in The Education and Inspection Act 2006. 

ii.    The membership of the Pupil Place Planning Board will comprise:

 

  • RCC Deputy Director of Children’s Services     Dawn Godfrey
  • RCC Head of Learning and Skills                                    Gill Curtis
  • RCC Business Intelligence Team                                    Jonathan Weller
  • RCC Admissions Officer                                        Julie Brown
  • RCC Senior Transport Manager                           Rebecca Johnson
  • RCC Head of Property Services                           Steve Sprason
  • Chair of Schools’ Forum                                        Carl Smith

                                               

iii.   Consultant advisors (as specifically required and by invitation) will provide advice and information as required which could include Rutland County Council Planning Team, Rutland County Council Finance Team, DfE Pupil Place Planning and Admissions Adviser, etc.

iv.   Key activities of the Board will include:

 

  • Monitoring the supply of school places in Rutland
  • Managing the production of accurate forecasts of demand for school places and special school places, using demographic information, housing data and cross-border movements of pupils and parental preference
  • Assessing the impact on the demand for school places of new housing developments, developing solutions and identifying the need for developer contributions
  • Production of an annual School Capacity Assessment report
  • Promoting diverse provision, ensuring increased choice through the production of accurate pupil forecast

 

v.    It is intended that the Board will complete an Annual Pupil Place Planning Strategy in the spring term which will collate information gathered through the Childcare Sufficiency Assessment, the School Capacity Assessment and analysis of post-16 Destination Data to ensure that school place planning is informed through a range of data.

vi.   Progress reports will be provided to Schools’ Forum as a regular agenda item. 

vii.  Feasibility study to be undertaken regarding sustained growth in secondary school sufficiency.

viii.NPS Group to undertake a full assessment of all secondary schools including buildings, land, capacity, and communal areas, taking in to account any additional needs e.g. DSP.

ix.   Phase 1 should take approximately 1 month to undertake, followed by decision on how Phase 2 will proceed.  Once agreed, Phase 2 would take another month to complete.  The results of Phase 1 will determine the actions for Phase 2.

x.    A Community Infrastructure Levy is a planning charge that is paid to the LA in order to cover all the structural development needed in a new development including education.  Parish Council could receive 5% funding if they have a neighbourhood plan but there is no funding available that schools could resource.  Andrew to give an update on funding at the next meeting.

ACTION: Andrew Merry

AGENDA

xi.   Updates regarding the Feasibility Study to be provided at future meetings of the Schools’ Forum

9.

Any Urgent Business

 

(5 MINUTES FOR FINAL AGENDA ITEMS)

Minutes:

None

10.

Forward Plan for 2020 pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Minutes:

The forward plan for 2020 was noted.

11.

Meeting Dates

·         Thursday, 11th June 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

·         Thursday, 1st October 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

·         Thursday, 10th December 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

Minutes:

·         Thursday, 11th June 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

·         Thursday, 1st October 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

·         Thursday, 10th December 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., Council Chamber

Summary of Actions pdf icon PDF 16 KB

No.

Ref.

Action

Person

1.     

1

Andrew confirmed that the figures were based on December school pupil numbers and he would distribute the details to schools.  He also agreed to send each school details regarding the impact on their individual funding for moving 0.5% from schools block to the High Needs Block in 2020/21 and to show what the effects would be if the percentage increased to 1%.

Andrew Merry

2.     

4 iii

Andrew confirmed that every LA in the East Midlands would be producing a recovery plan.  It was agreed that Andrew would contact each LA for a breakdown regarding their spending of the High Needs Budget.

Andrew Merry

3.     

4 iv

It was agreed that Andrew would check to see what census figures the 2020/21 budgets were based on.

Andrew Merry

4.     

4 v

The significant change in the mobility criteria was queried.  Andrew confirmed that the National Funding Formula was used to calculate the value but he would check to confirm

Andrew Merry

5.     

4 x

Andrew to give an update regarding funding for new developments at the next meeting.

Andrew Merry