Agenda and minutes

Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Thursday, 13th June, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Catmose, Oakham

Contact: Kit Silcock  01572 720976

Items
No. Item

---oOo---

Due to a Members briefing on Planning Policy prior to the meeting, the Committee meeting started at 7.32pm.

---oOo---

29.

APOLOGIES

Minutes:

No apologies were received.

30.

RECORD OF MEETING

To confirm the record of the meeting of the Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Panel held on 28 March 2019 (previously circulated).

Minutes:

The minutes of the Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Panel held on 28 March 2019 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

31.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

In accordance with the Regulations, Members are invited to declare any personal or prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests in respect of items on this Agenda and/or indicate if Section 106 of the Local Government Act 1992 applies to them.

Minutes:

No declarations of interest had been received.

32.

PETITIONS, DEPUTATIONS AND QUESTIONS

To receive any petitions, deputations and questions received from Members of the Public in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 217.

 

The total time allowed for this item shall be 30 minutes. Petitions, declarations and questions shall be dealt with in the order in which they are received. Questions may also be submitted at short notice by giving a written copy to the Committee Administrator 15 minutes before the start of the meeting.

 

The total time allowed for questions at short notice is 15 minutes of the total time for 30 minutes. Any petitions, deputations and questions that have been submitted with prior formal notice will take precedence over questions submitted at short notice. Any questions that are not considered within the time limit shall receive a written response after the meeting and be the subject of a report to the next meeting.

Minutes:

No petitions, deputations or questions had been received.

33.

QUESTIONS WITH NOTICE FROM MEMBERS

To consider any questions with notice from Members received in accordance with the provisions of Procedure rule No. 219 and No. 219A.

Minutes:

No questions with notice had been received from Members.

34.

NOTICES OF MOTION FROM MEMBERS

To consider any Notices of Motion from Members submitted in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule No. 220.

Minutes:

No notices of motion had been received from Members.

35.

CONSIDERATION OF ANY MATTER REFERRED TO THE COMMITTEE FOR A DECISION IN RELATION TO CALL IN OF A DECISION

To consider any matter referred to the Panel for a decision in relation to call in of a decision in accordance with Procedure Rule 206.

Minutes:

No matter had been referred to the Committee for a decision in relation to a call-in of a decision in accordance with Procedure Rule 206.

36.

REVIEW OF FORWARD PLAN AND ANNUAL WORK PLAN 2019-20

To consider the current Forward Plan and identify any relevant items for inclusion in the Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Panel Annual Work Plan, or to request further information.

 

Copies of the Forward Plan will be available at the meeting, and can be found on the website using the following link:

 

https://rutlandcounty.moderngov.co.uk/mgListPlans.aspx?RPId=133&RD=0

 

Minutes:

The Chair asked the Committee to indicate ideas for topics they wished to be considered at future meetings.

 

---oOo---

The Chairman adjourned the meeting at 7.42pm for ten minutes for members of the Committee to discuss between themselves topics they wished to see at future Growth, Infrastructure and Resources Scrutiny Committee meetings.

---oOo---

 

The following suggestions were made:

 

·         Class Q developments

·         Proposed Stamford North development

·         The Local Plan

·         St George’s Barracks

·         Environmental Policy

·         Oakham regeneration

·         Road works

·         Provision of Conservation advice

·         Housing associations

·         Suppliers of transport services

·         Return of investment on Council property

·         In house fleet replacement programme

·         Speeding in Rutland

 

During discussion the following points were noted:

 

  1. Mr Brown welcomed the idea of Scrutiny being involved with the development of a new Environment Policy.
  2. It was agreed that a special meeting devoted to the proposed Stamford North development, and the Local Plan would take place on Thursday 15 August 2019 prior to the Cabinet meeting due to take place on Tuesday 20 August 2019.
  3. Mr Harbour stated that the Council had two in house fleets – the Commercial Vehicle Fleet and the Pool Car Fleet. It was important to be clear about which fleet was being referred to in order to avoid any confusion. The in house fleet replacement programme on the Forward Plan referred to the replacement of some of the Commercial Transport Fleet that the Council had, such as minibuses. The fleet of pool cars were under contract for another two years.
  4. Mr Brown noted that the current Traffic Management Policy was up for revision and would be on the Forward Plan with substantial notice for Scrutiny to review before it went to Cabinet.

 

37.

REVENUE AND CAPITAL OUTTURN 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 70 KB

To receive Report No. 79/2019 from the Strategic Director for Resources.

 

1.    The above report is due to be presented at Cabinet on 18 June 2019.

 

2.    Scrutiny has requested this report so that it can review and comment on proposals before the Cabinet meeting so as to inform the decision making process.

 

3.    Scrutiny is asked to consider the report and provide feedback to the Portfolio Holder and Director.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Report No. 79/2019 was received from the Strategic Director for Resources.

 

Mr Della Rocca, Strategic Director for Resources, introduced the report the purpose of which was to inform members of the provisional outturn figures (subject to audit) for the financial year 2018/19.

 

During discussion the following points were noted:

 

      i.        Mr Begy questioned why Places directorate budget would drop in 20/21 and would then increase afterwards. Mr Della Rocca would look into detail and circulate the answer after the meeting.

    ii.        Figures in the Medium Term Financial Plan (MTFP) were based on interpretation of the Fairer Funding Review and the Business Rates Retention Review. The Council was working with its advisers and anticipated future reductions in Government funding. .

   iii.        The MTFP took into consideration the assumption that Council Tax would increase each year by the maximum allowable.

   iv.        £30k had been set aside in the outturn to fund the replacement of audio equipment and re-layout of the Council Chamber. The new layout would be tested at July Council.

    v.        Whilst the Council had a Brexit reserve, due to the uncertainty around Brexit, there was not a definitive plan yet as to what the money would be spent on.

   vi.        Mr Woodley commented that it would be useful for the MTFP to show various scenarios including the impact of not raising Council tax.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the Committee NOTED the report.

 

38.

BUSINESS SUPPORT REVIEW pdf icon PDF 110 KB

To note Report No. 81/2019 from the Strategic Director for Resources.

Minutes:

Report No. 81/2019 was received from the Strategic Director for Resources.

 

The Chair invited members of the Committee to make comment and ask questions on the report.

 

During discussion the following point was noted:

 

The team was called Business Support as the team supported the business of the Council. The term Business Support was also used by other authorities.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the Committee NOTED the report.

 

39.

ANY OTHER URGENT BUSINESS

To receive any other items of urgent business which have been previously notified to the person presiding.

Minutes:

No other urgent business was received.

40.

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

Thursday 12 September 2019 at 7pm

Minutes:

Special Meeting: Thursday 15th August at 7pm

 

Items to be taken:

·         Proposed Stamford North Development

·         Local Plan Update