Decision Maker: Chief Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To offer £15,000 contribution to the
expansion of the disabled car parking area because the school has
far more parents who hold disabled parking badges now compared to
when this was originally constructed.
There are 57 children with EHCP’s at Oakham Primary school and the Parks (48 children at Oakham Primary School and 9 at The Parks Nursery
As reported by the school:
• The disabled car park currently has spaces for 7 cars and one minibus.
• In the morning the disabled car park is extremely busy and this causes problems with trying to get the many children with mobility issues safely parked and into class.
• Each day, before and after school we have cars blocking the main road as they queue to get in which is dangerous to other road users.
• Members of staff regularly 'police' the car park in the mornings to try and get everyone parked. This is virtually impossible as there aren't even enough spaces to accommodate those parents it is supposed to hold.
• Complaints to school are almost daily both from our parents and from the general public as the traffic backs up on the main road whilst the parents wait to come in.
The expansion will provide a further 10
disabled parking spaces which is proposed to be completed in 2
Stage 1 - The main area as you come into the car park, on the left.
174msq = £16603.08 plus vat.
Stage 2 – The end of the car park.
110msq = £10496.20 plus vat.
Planning costs and architects drawing plus line markings are included.
The School Conditions Grant paid to the LA will provide a contribution towards the cost of the expanded disabled carpark as a means of keeping school premises safe by tackling health and safety issues as identified within the purpose of the Grant. It is proposed that RCC will fund up to 50% of total cost up to £30K, therefore a maximum RCC payment of £15,000, to be paid upon successful completion of both Phase 1 and 2.
Cllr David Wilby, Portfolio Holder for Education, has approved this request for use of Grant funding through discussion with Dawn Godfrey.
1. Do nothing – not acceptable as RCC
receives funding to ensure any H&S issues in maintained schools
2. Only agree to phase 2 – not acceptable due to only giving 6 spaces and would not fully address the issue.
Publication date: 09/06/2021
Date of decision: 18/05/2021