Agenda

Rutland SACRE (Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education) - Tuesday, 21st June, 2022 4.30 pm

Venue: via Zoom

Contact: Governance Team  Email: Governance@rutland.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

A MOMENT FOR REFLECTION

We gather together here today intent on doing good work.

We seek to represent fairly and well, those who have given us this task.

May our efforts be blessed with insight, guided by understanding and wisdom.

We seek to serve with respect for all.

May our personal beliefs give us strength to act honestly and well in all matters before us.

1.

WELCOME AND APOLOGIES RECEIVED

2.

RECORD OF MEETING pdf icon PDF 260 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Rutland SACRE held on 8th March 2022.

3.

ACTIONS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

No.

Ref:

Action

Allocated to:

ACTION

1

5

Stacey Potter to contact Laura Corcoran, SACRE Clerk for Peterborough City Council to share Rutland SACRE Members contact details for the purpose of attending the Agreed Syllabus Conference on 30 March 2022.

Stacey Potter

Completed

2

5

The SACRE Advisor confirmed that the conference meeting would be taking place via Microsoft Teams and would ensure that all Rutland SACRE Members had access to the Agreed Syllabus Conference reports and minutes.

Amanda Fitton

Completed

3

5

Revd Dr Peter Holmes, Church of England Representative stated that on the Statement of Entitlement there was a definition of the term Worldviews and advised that a discussion needed to take place as the definition was quite narrow and may require expanding. The SACRE Advisor stated that it would be beneficial for a small group to work together on defining the definition and would discuss this with the Peterborough SACRE Chair.

Amanda Fitton

 

4

5

Revd Dr Peter Holmes, Church of England Representative advised Members that a request had been made by the Chair of the Agreed Syllabus Conference in relation to the Rutland SACRE Constitution and the inclusion of a section detailing the Agreed Syllabus Conference, membership and financial contributions. Stacey Potter would share these with Members, and this would be discussed at the next SACRE Board meeting.

Stacey Potter

Item on Agenda

5

6

The SACRE Adviser stated that it would be useful to invite schools to a future SACRE Board meeting.

Stacey Potter

 

6

7

Councillor R Powell stated that it would be useful to hear the views of pupils and suggested that schools share comments from pupils at a future SACRE meeting.

Stacey Potter

 

7

6

Councillor R Powell suggested that the Rutland SACRE needed to strengthen its relationships with academies and the independent sector.

All Members

Completed

8

6

The SACRE Adviser had tried to contact Aga Cahn, representative of the Jewish Faith but this had not proved successful. Stacey Potter to email Aga to advise that as no response had been received, could another representative be

recommended to join the Rutland SACRE. Sheila Gewolb from the Board of Deputies of British Jews would be included within the email.

Stacey Potter

Completed

9

6

In response to a question from Bjoern Finke, representative of the Roman Catholic Faith asking if the Rutland SACRE had a representative from the Muslim Faith, The SACRE Adviser would contact the Chair of the Peterborough SACRE to see if they could recommend a representative.

Amanda Fitton

 

10

6

The SACRE Adviser confirmed that Ministry of Defence schools had their own SACRE. The SACRE Adviser would contact the Chair to invite them to attend a future Rutland SACRE meeting to discuss how they met the needs of their children within their SACRE.

Amanda Fitton

 

11

8

The SACRE Adviser confirmed that the NASACRE annual conference would be taking place in Birmingham. Councillor R Powell asked if there was any designated funding available in the Rutland SACRE budget  ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

4.

SACRE MEMBERSHIP

4a

APPOINTMENT OF A NEW CHAIR

4b

APPOINTMENT OF A VICE CHAIR

4c

APPOINTMENT OF NEW MEMBERS

5.

AGREED SYLLABUS CONFERENCE: UPDATE

To receive a verbal update from Amanda Fitton, SACRE/RE Advisor.

6.

NASACRE SELF EVALUATION TOOLKIT pdf icon PDF 345 KB

To review Section 2 of the NASACRE Self Evaluation Toolkit.

7.

SACRE DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2020-22 pdf icon PDF 243 KB

To review the SACRE Development Plan 2020-22.

8.

TRAINING ATTENDED BY SACRE MEMBERS pdf icon PDF 143 KB

To receive a verbal update from SACRE members on training attended including the National Conference and AGM held on the 23rd May 2022.

9.

UPDATE ON NETWORK MEETINGS

To receive an update from Amanda Fitton, SACRE/RE Advisor.

 

10.

MONITORING OF RE IN SCHOOLS AND OFSTED INSPECTIONS REPORT pdf icon PDF 121 KB

To receive a verbal report from Gill Curtis, Head of Learning and Skills.

11.

EDUCATION WHITE PAPER: UPDATE

To receive a verbal update from Amanda Fitton, SACRE/RE Advisor on the Education White Paper and the potential effect on SACRE.

 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1063601/opportunity_for_all_strong_schools_with_great_teachers_for_your_child__web__-_accessible.pdf

12.

ANY URGENT BUSINESS

13.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING:

Tuesday, 6th September 2022 at 4.30 p.m. in the Council Chamber, RCC, Catmose, Oakham LE15 6HP