Agenda and draft minutes

Schools' Forum - Thursday, 1st October, 2020 4.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Catmose, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HP. View directions

Contact: Jane Narey  01572 758311

Items
No. Item

1.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Minutes:

Apologies were noted as above.

 

The Chair thanked everyone for attending the meeting during the ongoing restrictions due to Covid-19.  It was reported that the nursery at Ryhall had been closed and that outbreaks had been reported at Oakham School and Casterton College.

 

 

2.

MINUTES AND ACTIONS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 108 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on 18 June 2020.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of the Schools’ Forum held on the 18th June 2020 were confirmed as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

Action 1

Andrew agreed to send each school details regarding the impact on their individual funding for moving 0.5% from schools block to the High Needs Block in 2020/21 and to show what the effects would be if the percentage increased to 1%.

Andrew reported that the work had been completed and details would be sent out with the updated figures.

 

Action 2

Andrew to look at the published outturn reports presented at the other Schools’ Forums and send out the links for information.

Andrew stated that he had obtained information from Leicester, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.  The reports were in a different format to ours but were no better data wise.  It was agreed that Andrew would circulate to members the outturn reports he had obtained. 

 ACTION: Andrew Merry

Action 3

The underspend of £19k on the schools’ block funding was not expected. The Council was currently investigating the reasons why and Andrew confirmed that he would notify members once that information was found.

Andrew reported that a briefing session would be held week beginning the 5th October.

 

3.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

In accordance with the Regulations, Members are invited to declare any personal or prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests in respect of items on this Agenda and/or indicate if Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.

 

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made. 

4.

PETITIONS, DEPUTATIONS AND QUESTIONS

To receive any petitions, deputations and questions received from Members of the Public in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 217.

 

The total time allowed for this item shall be 30 minutes.  Petitions, declarations and questions shall be dealt with in the order in which they are received.  Questions may also be submitted at short notice by giving a written copy to the Committee Administrator 15 minutes before the start of the meeting.

 

The total time allowed for questions at short notice is 15 minutes out of the total time of 30 minutes.  Any petitions, deputations and questions that have been submitted with prior formal notice will take precedence over questions submitted at short notice.  Any questions that are not considered within the time limit shall receive a written response after the meeting and be the subject of a report to the next meeting.

(5 MINUTES for items 1, 2, 3)

 

 

Minutes:

None received

 

5.

ANNUAL REVIEW OF SCHOOLS FORUM MEMBERSHIP INCLUDING ELECTION OF CHAIR AND DEPUTY CHAIR

 

(ITEM FOR DECISION)

(5 MINUTES)

Minutes:

Jane briefed attendees regarding the nominations for Chair and Deputy Chair.  During the discussion, the following points were noted:

 

i.          Only one nomination had been received from Carl Smith for Chair, and no nominations had been received for Deputy Chair.

ii.         It was agreed that Carl Smith would continue in the role as Chair.

iii.        Steve Cox was nominated as the Deputy Chair; this was seconded by Stuart Williams and was formally agreed by the Forum.

 

6.

FUNDING: UPDATE pdf icon PDF 174 KB

To receive a report from Andrew Merry

(ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(15 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Andrew Merry. During the discussion, the following points were noted:

 

i.          High Needs Block was showing an overspend of £352k.  £52k more than last year.

ii.         £112k surplus in the Early Years Block.  The Council wants to work with providers to see how the £112k can be used to support the sector at the next Early Years forum on the 29th September and will report back at the next Schools Forum.

iii.        Central Schools Block was currently underspent due to staff vacancies.

iv.        Overall overspend of £367k but what is going to happen going forward is unknown. 

v.         It was queried if any funding would be available to support schools for Covid related costs.  Andrew confirmed that he had spoken with the DfE.  There would be a second round of funding available but that this would be the same as the first round of funding so if schools had met the criteria in the first round they would be eligible for the second round of funding.  No additional funding would be made available to the schools not meeting the criteria.

vi.        DfE has updated the statutory guidance on schemes for financing local authority-maintained schools. The scheme now included the provision for schools to submit a 3-year budget forecast each year, and a recovery plan if the deficit rises above 5%.

vii.      The School Information (England) Regulations 2020 would take effect from 1 January 2021.  Require maintained schools to publish on their website the number of school employees (if any) whose gross annual salary is £100,000 or more in £10,000 bands.

viii.     CFR framework has been updated.  Section l18 now states how grants provided specifically in connection with COVID-19 should be recorded.

ix.        Catch Up Premium – allocations have been listed on the governments website:  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-catch-up-premium-provisional-allocations

x.         Funding for 2021 – core funding will increase by 4%. High Needs will increase by 10%.  Andrew will present a draft budget at the next meeting and will be requesting a 0.5% transfer as per this year.

 

AGREED: 

a.    The Schools Forum noted the forecast outturn position for 2019/20 Dedicated Schools Grant

 

7.

DSG RECOVERY PLAN: UPDATE pdf icon PDF 262 KB

To receive a report from Andrew Merry and Kevin Quinn

(ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(10 MINUTES)

Minutes:

A report was received from Louise Crookenden Johnson.  During the discussion, the following points were noted:

 

i.          A local SEND recovery plan was required however it did not need to be submitted to the DfE. The DfE have issued a new reporting template. Action: an updated Recovery Plan will be brought to the next meeting

ii.         Overall, some good progress on the projects – very encouraging.

iii.        £70k had been allocated to primary and secondary education inclusion partnerships.  The Primary Inclusion Partnership was up and running and interventions with the children were looking promising. 

iv.        Providers meetings were being held monthly.

v.         Currently working on commissioning additional support around speech therapy and communication needs to support those children with communication issues.

vi.        The Nurture Group at Edith Weston Academy had supported 3 children across 2 primary schools.  2 of the children were now in mainstream school with some support.  The group only required 1 child not to be placed in external care for the programme to break even. 

vii.      Rob Gooding stated that the service was ‘fantastic’ and asked that the Forum’s thanks be passed on to colleagues.

 

AGREED:

a)    The Schools’ Forum noted the project progress to date.

 

8.

SEND STRATEGY pdf icon PDF 678 KB

To receive an update from Bernadette Caffrey/Kevin Quinn

(ITEM FOR INFORMATION)

(10 MINUTES)

Minutes:

The updated SEND and Inclusion Strategy was presented by Bernadette Caffrey. During the discussion, the following points were noted:

 

i.          Kevin Quinn had now moved into a new, interim role as the Transformation and Assurance Lead.   Louise Crookenden Johnson would take forward and report to Forum on the SEND Recovery Plan.

ii.         Bernadette showed attendees a slide summarising the local vision for inclusion – copy attached.

iii.        It was agreed that the SEND Needs Assessment 2020 would inform the next iteration of the Strategy and be brought to the next meeting.

AGENDA

i.          Bernadette stated that the Rutland Multi Agency SEND Panel was inviting independent members to be observers or part of the panel.  Meetings were held fortnightly on a Wednesday afternoon.  Please contact Bernadette for further information: bcaffrey@rutland.gov.uk

 

9.

ANY URGENT BUSINESS

Minutes:

i.          Jane informed the Forum that going forward the Governance Team would be responsible for providing administrative support to the Schools’ Forum.

ii.         The Forum thanked Jane for her hard work and support and wished her well in her new role as Interim Executive Officer.

 

10.

FORWARD PLAN FOR 2020 pdf icon PDF 50 KB

Minutes:

i.          It was requested that the Schools Budget 2020-21 forecast and request for a 0.5% transfer between the School block and the High Needs Block were added to the December 2020 agenda.

ii.         It was requested that the DSG Recovery Plan be added as a standing item.

 

 

11.

MEETING DATE

·       Thursday, 10th December 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m.

Minutes:

·         Thursday, 10th December 2020, 4.00 – 5.00 p.m., via Microsoft Teams

 

 

Summary of Actions

 

No.

Ref.

Action

Person

1.     

2

It was agreed that Andrew would circulate to members the outturn reports he had obtained. 

Andrew Merry

2.     

8

It was agreed that the new SEND and Inclusion Strategy would be brought to the next meeting.

 

AGENDA

 

---oOo---

The Chairman declared the meeting closed at 16:52

---oOo---